Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rachel's Challenge

Yesterday at my high school we had an assembly called Rachel's Challenge. It was a very "heavy" subject for just before Christmas and I have to compliment our student body because they were so respectful and well-behaved. Of course, that was kind of the subject of the assembly. Rachel was the first student killed at Columbine High School. Before her death she had worked at her school to get students to be kinder to one another and to be more accepting to those who are different from the mainstream. Many of her philosophies and visions for a better world came out after her death from personal accounts related to her parents from students she had helped and from her journals.

Rachel's brother was also at Columbine and came very close to getting shot himself. After the shooting, he had many emotional problems and went off the deep end himself. As he and his father learned more about Rachel's dreams of helping others, they decided to have this become their mission. They have spoken to high schoolers around the world and have been on many major television shows explaining Rachel's goals for helping others to become better people.

Our assembly consisted of a trained person who explained what the family is doing on behalf of Rachel and many video clips of the Columbine shooting, Rachel growing up, news stories of her challenge and the impact she is having all these years after her death. It was very moving and I saw students all over the gym wiping away tears.
Anyway, I decided to accept the challenge and write this blog in the hopes that anyone out there who does not know Rachel's story will be inspired to learn more. Just google Rachel's Challenge and you will finds lots of information. Since I am just starting to blog, I don't yet know about links and such. Brooke, my daughter who is helping me get started, is probably snickering right now.
Click HERE for the link. (Brooke added this in for her Mom, after snickering a little! Hee hee)

8 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!
    FINALLY a post, and a GREAT one at that! Thanks for introducing me to Rachel and sharing her vision. What an inspirational story.... I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes too learning about her story. We can all do our part to be KIND to one another. I look forward to reading more on your blog.
    PS - let me see if I can link for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blog. I will add you as a favorite to read...enjoyed your 1st story...thanks for sharing...
    Sue Darcy Hutter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Alexander!
    Love that you started a blog, I am starting one in January (one of my many New Year's resolutions). Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

    Allison (Curry) Fonseca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mrs Alexander.
    What a great start to you blog and an a story dear to my heart. Someone who stood up for her love of Jesus and didn't back down...it didn't end the way you had wanted it to with her living but in a way she is in a better place and living in a heaven we can only dream about for now and read about in the Gods holy Word. Thanks for taking on a tough heart rendering challenge and for your first piece as well. You did a great job...can see where Brooke gets her love for writing as well. Brooke is an inspiration to me and I love to read her blogs for excitment and a touch of humor with real life every day. Love her outlook on life. Now I got to get her to start my blog, sad to admit I can't figure it out either! Happy writing!! and a blessed CHRISTmas!Sandy Lutz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom,
    What a great post and a great topic! I hope you will continue to write and share your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always ahead of the curve--now I suppose the rest of us need to start bloggin!! What a wonderful response to the assembly. Drew and I talked about what a great message and at such an important time. It certainly made me think about what I am doing to make the world better for others and what more I CAN do.
    Keep blogging!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Pammy,
    You are always kind and compassionate and a great model to others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on starting a blog! Brooke got me started over a year ago as well and it's become a passion for me. Keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete